What is depth?
Depth is one way we’re trying to encourage Christians to grow as disciples. The course was initially run as a year long programme including teaching sessions, mentoring, reading and working out the theory in practice. Depth is an acronym meaning…
Depth focuses on on three key areas.
Those who took part spoke of their enjoyment in learning more, being taken deeper in their understanding of the Bible and theology, valued the opportunities to spend time regularly in mentoring and prayer.
Depth will return in different ways to continue to help us fulfil our vision of Making Disciples.
We may run the programme again across a year, or more probably in short blocks looking at one topic/issue.
As a church we recognise the importance of Jesus words, “teach them to obey everything I have commanded” Mt 28:19-20.
With particular emphasis on:
- becoming more like Jesus
- developing the ‘fruit of the Spirit’ (Galatians 5:22-25)
- pursuing holiness, integrity and growing maturity
- knowing our identity in Jesus Christ
A key way this will occur is through mentoring. In other words, meeting up with a more mature Christian at least once per month to pray and talk through how you’re growing and changing; and what are the challenges you’re facing. For this to work well there must be a willingness and openness to allow someone to speak constructively and honestly into your life (without taking offence!)
Gifts & Serving
Jesus calls us to follow and serve; as such Depth encourages you to:
- explore your gifts and calling, and discovering your passion, vision or dreams for God
- reinforce the way Jesus served through servant-hearted living
- explore different ways in which to engage with God and listen to the Holy Spirit
- to step out and try something new (faith is sometimes spelt “RISK”)
- during the year to engage in a mission initiative (e.g. locally, try something new in church life, overseas, Healing on the Streets, Prophetic training day, prayer ministry, or maybe arrange a local “family fun day”, ministry to the poor etc.) This will be developed during the year.
- emphasise that mission and ministry is everyday not just on Sundays or in ‘church based’ activities; and encourage humility through serving in ‘seen’ and ‘unseen’ ways.
Knowledge & Understanding
Understanding more about God, the Bible and faith is foundational to growing as a Christian. Depth helps you:
- Know more about important sections of the Bible (i.e. Law, Prophets, Wisdom, Gospels, Epistles, Revelation)
- Key aspects of Christian Doctrine and Theology; including major themes such as the Kingdom of God, the Cross, Worship etc.
- Understand how the Bible fits together (overview, key themes and the differences in types of Scripture and how that affects how we read, interpret and apply it to our lives).